Imagine you and a friend are exchanging emails and have been discussing the landmark Supreme Court cases that have shaped the state of civil rights in the United States today.
Select 3 of the following landmark cases/rulings related to civil rights and/or slavery:
- Dred Scott v. Sandford, 60 U.S. 393 (1857)
- Strauder v. West Virginia, 100 U.S. 303 (1880)
- Civil Rights Cases, 109 U.S. 3 (1883)
- Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537 (1896)
- Powell v. Alabama, 287 U.S. 45 (1932)
- Loving v. Virginia (1967)
- Shelley v. Kraemer (1948)
- Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka (1954)
You can also explore other U.S. landmark cases by searching the University Library.
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word e-mail addressed to your friend, using a tone conveying cordial interpersonal communications, which includes the following:
- Summarize the details of the 3 selected cases.
- Evaluate how the Supreme Court’s interpretation of the Bill of Rights addressed the decisions and outcomes of the cases.
- Provide your opinion on the final rulings of each case.
Cite any sources to support your assignment.
Format your sources according to APA guidelines.