Constitutional amendments exist to correct a perceived problem within the existing document. In previous weeks, you examined the Bill of Rights and the process for constitutional amendments. For this assignment, you will consider a possible constitutional amendment.
Choose 1 of the issues listed below. Some are noncontroversial issues for the general public, while others are more controversial. Regardless of the option you choose, your assignment must be based on constitutional and legal arguments — NOT on opinion.
- Should the Constitution be amended to limit Congress members to 12 years of total service?
- Should the Constitution be amended to give voters the right to recall federal officials before their terms expire?
- Should the Constitution be amended to protect the right to have an abortion?
- Should the Constitution be amended to legalize marijuana?
- Should the Constitution be amended to give the president a line-item veto (instead of being required either to sign an entire bill) or veto the entire bill?
- Should the Constitution be amended to include the right to health care?
- Should the Constitution be amended to remove the birthright citizenship clause currently contained in the 14th Amendment?
- Should the Constitution be amended to include Washington, D.C. as part of the statehood?
Create 1 of the following:
- An 18- to 20-slide presentation (using Microsoft® PowerPoint® or a program of your choice)
- A 700- to 1,050-word letter to an editor
- A 700- to 1,050-word change.org petition
Identify your issue for amending the Constitution. Your assignment should:
- Provide a brief history of the topic.
- Discuss why you think the topic should or should not be posed as a constitutional amendment.
If you are creating a letter to an editor, you should:
- Read other letters to an editor as examples.
- Keep your letter brief and to the point.
If you are creating a change.org petition, explore the tips and guides prior to writing your petition.
If you are creating a presentation:
- Include introduction and conclusion slides.
- Include detailed speaker notes.
Cite any sources to support your assignment.
Format your sources according to APA guidelines.