In the same way teachers expect their students to continue growing in their knowledge and skills, teachers can improve their practice through ongoing professional development (PD). As your professional knowledge and expertise increase in the TESOL field, so will your opportunities for professional leadership and advocacy.
Imagine as a member of the ELL task force, teachers often ask you about how they can continue to professionally grow in their knowledge of working with ELLs. As a result of this, your principal asks you to present information at a staff meeting for classroom teachers working with ELLs in your school.
Create a 30-minute PD session to present at a staff meeting for classroom teachers, detailing specific opportunities and strategies for continued growth as educators in supporting ELLs.
For your PD session, create the following:
- Outline/agenda of the 30-minute meeting, with detailed facilitator/speaker notes
- One-page handout to be distributed during or after the PD
- Quick assessment tool (digital link or activity description) to measure the PD's success
Include the following in your PD handout:
- Using your Topic 2 assignment, provide a brief summary of various policies and instructional program models for ELLs to justify the specific program model chosen and why it is effective for your school. Note: If you have reflected and determined a different program model is more appropriate for the setting than the model you presented in Topic 2, you may adjust your decision for this assignment.
- A minimum of six ways teachers can model the expectations of the profession by upholding ethical standards, professional standards of practice, and relevant laws and policies in working with ELLs. Include an example related to advocating for ELLs.
- A minimum of six suggestions for how teachers can engage in ongoing learning opportunities to practice self-assessment and reflection, make adjustments for self-improvement, and plan for continuous professional development in the field of English language learning and teaching. Include in your suggestions a minimum of three opportunities that leverage technology to enhance personal learning and professional productivity.
- Visuals or graphics that are relevant to the content, visually appealing, and use space appropriately.
Support your PD session with 3-5 scholarly resources.
Submit your outline/agenda with facilitator/speaker notes, PD handout, assessment tool, and resources in a single document.
While APA Style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.