Assessments are an important part of the instruction and learning process that occurs in the classroom. By using a variety of assessment types, including diagnostic, formative, and summative, teachers can gather comprehensive information on how learning goals and needs of students are being met.
Part 1: Mentor Observation and Discussion
Observe your mentor for at least two lessons or class periods to note the administration of at least two different classroom assessments for ELL/bilingual students. Focus your observations on assessment procedures, directions, and how students responded and performed on the assessments.
Discuss your observations and ask additional questions about diagnostic, formative, and summative assessments for ELL/bilingual students. Include the following in your discussion:
· The types and purposes of the assessments you observed
· How the assessments align with academic content standards
· How the assessments were administered, and directions were provided to ELL/bilingual students
· How the ELL/bilingual students responded to the assessment and if additional support was needed
· How data from the assessment was collected and recorded
· When and how diagnostic, formative, and summative assessments are used in the classroom
· How classroom-based assessments are scaffolded for both English language and content, including strategies for differentiating assessments for various ELP levels
· When, with whom, and how data from formative and summative assessments are shared
· Overall issues of assessment for ELL/bilingual learners and how to use standards-based assessment measures appropriately and effectively
· The role of native language assessments and accommodations, if in a bilingual context
Note : Be sure to take notes on your observation and discussion as you will provide them when submitting this assignment.
Part 2: Mentor Collaboration
Collaborate with your mentor to create an authentic assessment for a small group or class of ELL/bilingual students that you will administer for the Topic 5 Clinical Field Experience C assignment. Determine the type and purpose of the assessment, how to scaffold the assessment for various ELP levels, how it will be graded, how the data will be collected and recorded, and how to determine the overall effectiveness of the assessment.
Note : Be sure to take notes during your collaboration as you will provide them when submitting this assignment.
Use any remaining field experience hours to provide support or assistance to the class as directed by your mentor.
Part 3: Reflection
Write a 250-350 word reflection on assessing ELL/bilingual students in the classroom. Include the following in your reflection:
· Issues to consider when using standards-based assessment measures with ELL/bilingual students in the classroom
· How to differentiate assessments for varying ELP levels and provide scaffolds for both English language and content
Submit your observation, discussion, and collaboration notes and reflection in a single document.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.